On March 29 and 30, the Government of the Republic of Costa Rica will co-host the Second Summit for Democracy with the governments of the United States of America, Zambia, the Netherlands, and South Korea.
The Youth Democracy Cohort will be organising two events on the 30th of March to address the Youth engagement. Both events will be hold at the Tribunal Supremo de Elecciones and are part of the main event of the summit.
Program of the full day
10:00 AM to 12:00 AM “How to increase youth engagement and participation in democracies” by Community of Democracies (CoD)
10:00 AM to 12:00 AM “Strengthening civic and political engagement of young people in Central America.” By EPD/NIMD
Master of Ceremonies and moderator : Kristal Ward Hudson, Vice Minister of Youth of Costa Rica (Ministerio de Cultura y Juventud de Costa Rica)
This morning session will consist of a panel of young activists and politicians from the Latin American region. The speakers and moderators are from NIMD Democracy Schools Alumni from El Salvador, Guatemala and Costa Rica. Panelists :
- Gracia Grande NIMD El Salvador,
- Nestor Ventura – El Salvador,
- Abner Abisaid Brito Ferrera – Honduras,
- Maria Fernelly Arroche – Guatemala, Alumni from NIMD Democracy Schools
- Moderated by Kristel Ward Hudson, Vice Minister of Youth of Costa Rica
The discussion will be followed by a 30 mn Q&A session.
13:00 PM to 14:30 PM – Review of the Year of Action and future steps of the Youth Democracy Cohort By EPD/EDYN
Presentation of the deliverables of the Youth Democracy Cohort and interactive session with the audience on the Commitments.
- The Menu of Possible Commitments with Aisha Dabo from AfricTivistes and Jérémy Apert from EPD (European partnership for Democracy),
- Presentation the Youth Engagement Handbook with Daryna Onyshko, EDYN and Anne Badji, EPD (European partnership for Democracy),
- Climate activist and Vanessa Salazar Vega from the National Assembly of young
people to present the costa rican case study
Panel discussion: Youth Forward, implementing commitments for more youth engagement : What are the opportunities for advocating for adoption by participating countries ?
- With Jean Costedoat-Miossec, European Commission,
- Willice Onyango from The Youth Cafe,
- and Olga Caballero from Alma Civica,
- Moderator: Ken Godfrey, EPD (European partnership for Democracy) Executive Director.
14:30 PM to 15:00 PM – Special event organised by the Embassy of United States in Costa Rica
15:00 PM to 18:00 PM – Promoting the Role of Youth in political and democratic spaces. Governmental high level panel.
One youth representative from each of events organised during the week declares, in front of the high level panel, 2 or 3 recommendations or proposals learned or/and drawn from the past event.
🎥 The Summit For Democracy will be a full-day conference followed by a cocktail and will take place in an hybrid format in San José at the Tribunal Supremo de Elecciones. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Worship of Costa Rica will livestream the event in its own channels.
18:00 until ✨ ✨ – Cocktail & networking dinner – at the Antigua Aduana
Download the full program here:
Photo: Hand-decorated oxcarts wheel📍Costa Rica (Mercado Municipal De Artesanías de San José)