Alma Cívica is a platform of support, training, and collaboration that fosters a network of ethical, talented and effective citizens who contribute to the development of their communities and democracy in Paraguay. Its three main focus areas are: School of Politics and Public Leadership, City Lab and Civic Education and Youth Leadership.
Why Alma Cívica?
- Only one-third of Paraguayans are satisfied with the functioning of democracy, with corruption being one of the main problems in Paraguay.
- Paraguay ranked second to last in civic education according to a survey conducted in 2009, and 38.5% of 9th-grade students failed to demonstrate minimum competencies in civic education.
- Furthermore, 51% of the voting-eligible population in the upcoming elections is between 18 and 39 years old, while youth candidates in the last municipal elections of 2021 did not exceed 10% on average, despite the relatively young population.
- The project focuses on improving and strengthening civic education, access to rights, and justice for young people between 17 and 35 years of age in at least 15 cities in the country. It is framed within a crucial democratic period of the country and aims to support participants in the pre- and electoral processes of local government elections through a proposal to increase citizen participation and promote participatory democracy.
- In Paraguay’s current context, characterized by a demographic boom that highlights the significant presence of young people in the population and a lot of challenges to democracy in terms of corruption, institutionality and civic participation, the creation and implementation of the “Conquista Joven” programme is of crucial importance.
- Paraguayan youth represent a valuable and dynamic resource capable of promoting change and innovation in society. However, the lack of effective political participation and the disengagement from democracy have led to a gap between the aspirations and needs of young people and government decision-making.
- Through “Conquista Joven” we will seek to strengthen youth leadership within democracy through youth leadership and civic and political participation.
Objectives and activities
Objective 1: Generating, analysing and disseminating relevant evidence on youth political participation and other relevant issues linked to the Menu of Possible Commitments.
Activity 1: Democracy and Youth Observatory
Alma Cívica, through the Democracy and Youth Observatory will carry out an updated diagnosis on the spaces for political participation, perception of democracy, views on futures, dreams and needs of Paraguayan youth, which will be gathered in an interactive platform for monitoring actions and needs.
Objective 2: Raising awareness among youth on the importance of youth political participation for the future of democracy.
Activity 2: “Youth + Democracy” cycle
The cycle of activities “Youth + Democracy” aims to empower young people in their political and civic participation through three forums designed for different age groups. Together, these forums promote learning, participation and connection among young people engaged in politics and democracy. This cycle is expected to serve as a platform for the dissemination and awareness of the Menu of Possible Commitments. It will generate a space for civic celebration to honour democracy and youth.
Objective 3: Strengthening the capacities of young people of different ages to engage actively in politics.
Activity 3: School of Politics and Public Leadership
A training academy will be set-up both online and in person focusing on two main topics: leadership and civic and political education. Training will include role-playing, theatre, board games, participatory budgeting.
Activity 4: Youth Laboratory, Democracy + Participation
Young people trained in the previous activity, accompanied by expert mentors will create public policy projects to be implemented in the local departmental groups of the cities.
- A virtual platform created compiling information on political participation, perception of democracy, views on the future, dreams and needs of Paraguayan youth.
- Cycle of forums organised to celebrate democracy and youth, raise awareness on the Menu of possible commitments and empower young people in their political and civic participation.
- A training academy set-upboth online and in person on 2 main topics: leadership and civic and political education.
- Young people trained and mentored create public policy projects to be implemented in the local departmental groups of the cities.
Don’t miss any of their activities